I am excited to design product + service ecosystems enabling users to seamlessly interact with their devices, content, and each other, making new and everyday tasks delightfully simple—anywhere.
I bring an MS, Cognitive Science and 16 years of User Experience (UX) design and research practice in web and software products for enterprise users and consumers. A consummate team player in teams with diverse stakeholders, I spark problem re-thinking, generate designs quickly, openly "riff" on ideas, and foster both official and social consensus, all with a fun, collaborative spirit.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Synthesizing user and domain research, requirements, constraints, etc. into "big pictures" and designs that fit and improve ecosystems of users’ activities, tasks, and tools
- Creating low to high fidelity prototypes (paper sketches, Balsamiq, HTML/CSS, Axure, InVision, Proto.io, Photoshop), wireframes, screen-flow diagrams, pattern libraries, UX documentation
- Communicating designs and user research to teams and stakeholders, collaborating and iterating in accordance with research, feedback, or scope and implementation challenges
- Mentoring teams in UX techniques, working with them throughout the development lifecycle
Collaborated with product managers, developers, SMEs, UX designers to extend transactional portal for 11 releases (3.1-5.2) with new features and product architecture: low to high fidelity prototypes.
- Designed wizard to order and explain familiar product types that gained new complexity
Axway: Guided UX for cloud-based service with product manager and architect team from brainstorming to prototype and proposed vision for mobile interactions. Developed personas, designed new patterns, extended existing product (HTML/CSS/JS + Salesforce’s Force.com), and collaborated with product managers, architects, and developers in an Agile environment.
Designed, evaluated, and rebranded Web applications and sites, including:
- Order Status Tool: Redesigned tool to improve usability, boldly creating Juniper IT’s first richly interactive Web 2.0 application, setting and documenting new UX standards
- License Management System: Designed and scaled application from two product lines to 18
- Public, partner, and customer sites and applications: various roles for five site-wide redesigns
Evaluated designs using usability tests, surveys, and online discussion group. Provided results and design directions via debriefings, quick findings, presentations, and full reports to multi-disciplinary product teams for Yellow Pages, Web application for businesses, and Search.
Approved usability of all functional designs for suite of three products (v4.5).
Initiated and conducted Kintana’s first usability study—done with premier clients; reduced scrolling by 60% in flagship products’ main transaction screens. Designed suite-wide common components for both web-based and Java applet.
Championed GUI standards socially and officially to 70-developer department including interaction designers, graphic designers, developers, and development managers over two development cycles.
Created look-and-feel and HTML/CSS standards; wrote style guide for RealCities (RC) network, including search engine, directory, weather, site administration tools, and authentication system.
Introduced fast new UX design methods, designing RC Marketplace (2000 EPpy finalist for Best Online Shopping Application) in a company-record design-to-release timeline.
Created UX development process and staffing plan with VP-Technology, Software Development.
Conducted heuristic evaluation of Web site and voice menu system. Designed usability lab.
Managed three-engineer team. Designed and conducted usability benchmark study of MS Office 2000’s core UI. Created new procedure, improving preparation time and reliability by 66%.
Thesis (1997): ”The Organization of Action in a Socially Distributed Cognitive System”. Created and used a usability lab with videotape, transcription, and analysis.
- magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Training classes: “Interaction Design Practicum” (Cooper), “Designing Usable Web Sites” and “Paper Prototyping” (User Interface Engineering), “Presenting Data and Information” (Edward Tufte).
- 2006 ASP Top 10 Support Website: Juniper Networks
- 2000 EPpy Award Finalist (Best Shopping Application in a Newspaper Online Service): Knight Ridder
- Member: BayCHI, ACM SIGCHI, Phi Beta Kappa